University of California, Agriculture & Natural Resources
University of California, Agriculture & Natural Resources
University of California, Agriculture & Natural Resources
University of California
University of California, Agriculture & Natural Resources

Centennial Staff Profiles

Liz Dawley

UCCE Colusa County
CalFresh and 4-H Youth Development Program Representative
Time with ANR
20 years
Typical Day

25% of my job is delivering the CalFresh Nutrition Youth Program to extenders (classroom teachers) in the Colusa County school districts and supporting the extenders with resources and classroom activities. The remaining 75% of my job is with the 4-H Youth Development Program. The major focus is to work with volunteer leaders, provide support for the county 4-H clubs and conduct youth development activities in the community. This is done through collaborative efforts with the local 4-H Council and is intended to have the staff member working primarily with youth members and adult volunteers. I am responsible for the day-to-day operations of the county’s 4-H Club Program, with programmatic support from the 4-H Youth Development Advisor located in Sutter/Yuba Counties. Currently we have five 4-H clubs, with over 300 members enrolled. More than 80 adult volunteers provide project guidance, logistical support for meetings and events, and direct educational support to youth. The youth gain knowledge, build self-esteem and learn leadership skills through various activities and events, with the overall goal of helping them reach their full potential as they face the challenges of today's world.

Most Memorable Moment

My memorable moments are those when I see youth getting excited about what they learn in CalFresh and 4-H lessons. Their eyes light up and they want to share with (or teach) others what they have learned. 



What I love Most About Working for ANR

What I love most about my job is seeing young children grow up and become leaders in their lives, and then give back to others and come back to help in 4-H because of what it has meant to them.

My Story

There were no full-time home economics teaching jobs in this area, so I was substitute teaching while I continued my job search. While I was substituting one day, a teacher told me about this position announcement. I applied and was called for an interview, and yet I really felt I wanted to be a teacher. I had decided to go back to school and earn my multiple-subject teaching credential, and I almost called to cancel my interview. Although I wouldn't recommend it as a strategy for job interviews, this plan to return to college calmed the usual interview jitters for me. I aced the interview and was hired. I've never looked back.

Liz Dawley, UCCE Colusa County

Top of page

Here's to another 100 years of science and service!

Webmaster Email: